- Balaclavas are nothing new–having originated in Ukraine in the 1800s–but are now garnering mass attention as craftcore, winter weather, and the desire for protection intersect to create the perfect storm for the rise of Gen Z’s new favorite accessory.
- An extremely high volume trend, there are 201K average weekly searches for balaclavas, +44% to last year.
- Balaclavas have an average engagement rating online–social buzz is +141% to last year.
- Most saturated in the luxury segment, brands like Miu Miu, Marine Serre, Marni, and Coperni all presented interpretations of this winter essential in their SS22 collections. More affordable brands ranging from Paloma Wool to H&M have also introduced the balaclava to their assortments this season.
- A favorite on TikTok, #balaclava has over 120M views on the platform with creators sharing viral videos of their DIY creations and styling tips for the standout accessory.
- Popular in several materials, both crochet balaclavas and knit balaclavas are experiencing accelerated growth–searches are +710% and +246% to last year respectively.
- TL Forecast: Balaclavas are expected to continue growing over the next year with 70% confidence.
If you’re interested in becoming a Trendalytics member and want to learn more about trends that are growing — and dying, please contact [email protected].